Thursday, July 24, 2008

A matter of the heart!

8 weeks


I've talked about parenting being hard so far but it gets harder. I mean I have to say that things are actually starting to become more routine and Sam and I are getting in a groove and I'm feeling much better and enjoying being Sam's mom. However parenting will always be hard because there are things that are out of your control and that you can't protect your children from. That is my test this week.
This week we got some tough news. We went to the pediatric cardiologist for a problem they had suspected at birth. John and I had been praying about this problem and hoping that it would go away, but...it didn't. We found out that Samuel has aortic stenosis which is narrowing of a section of the aortic valve. This causes the other sections of the valve to work overtime which is not good. The cardiologist did an ultra sound and said that his was more severe that he first suspected and so we will have to have something done sooner than later. We are unsure exactly what this means as far as a time frame, but know that he will undergo a procedure where they run a catheter to the valve and use a balloon to inflate it. The doctor want to consult with other cardiologists and we will go back to see him in 4 weeks. The bad news is that this will be a lifelong condition that will have to be monitored and could influence certain activities Sam is allowed to do.
Although we are sad and worried and scared I'm so thankful for a heavenly Father who is the God of all comfort. I continuosly have scripture running through my head that calm my anxious heart..."Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you 1 Peter 5:7... Be anxious about nothing but in everything by prayer and supplication present your requests before God. Phillipians 4:6...I created you and knit you in the womb Psalm 139...Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life. Matt 6:27." Please join us in prayer over this situation. We will keep you updated.
In the meantime we have a beautiful little boy who is growing bigger everyday. He is changing before our very eyes!

1 comment:

Aubrey said...

Ella and I will be praying for Samuel every day. You're so strong and positive, Joni. You are an amazing woman and an unbelievable mommy. We heart the Sherrers.