Wednesday, July 16, 2008

7 weeks & 7 wonders!

7 weeks


All parents know that there are just some things about babies that seem unexplainable. They just make us "wonder". This is something I've discovered and when you ask people about baby things you are likely to get a million different answers, because here is the key...ALL babies are different. Here are some of the things I wonder about most.

1. Baby Poop: Samuel and I BOTH failed miserably at breastfeeding (I'll spare you the gory details). After mourning the loss of it we are now formula baby. So here is the question. If a baby only eats one thing in the same amounts at about the same time everyday how can it's poop be so different from poop to poop. I don't get it.
2. Sleep: I've heard of it all in this category, but again...All babies are different. I wonder every day and every morning at 4 am how do you get a baby to sleep longer. I dream of the days when I get more than 3 hours of sleep.
3. Crying: So I've changed him, fed him, burped him, walked him, bounced him, swaddled him, and he is still crying. Usually I can get him to calm down eventually, but what I wonder about is...What is he crying about so much?
4. Smiles: We have entered the stage where he smiles at us and it is becoming more frequent, but sometimes I'll watch him and he is staring at the blank wall smiling and cooing when I'm trying my hardest to get him to grin. What is he thinking that would make him so happy with the wall?
5. Timing: How can babies be so in tuned with there surroundings that they can always tell when mommy is about to take her first bite of dinner, just stepped in the shower, just laid her head on the pillow or the preacher is about to begin his sermon? They have impeccable timing!
6. Family: When family comes to visit they walk in and look straight past me or John to Samuel and after about 5 minutes or more they say hello to us. It's not really that bad, but I wondered how our family would react to him and I'm amazed at how much they love him too.
7. Love: This is cheesy, but it is the biggest wonder of all. How can my heart be filled with so much love for him.

These are just some of the most intriguing parts of having a baby for me. I seem to have millions of questions all the time and am always looking for answers. But I've learned to be a little more relaxed about not knowing the exact answer and just enjoying the adventure of understanding my precious little boy!

3 comments:

Tracy said...

Such a precious post!!!! And I'm so jealous that Kristin lives there so she can babysit for date nights. :-)

Aubrey said...

Ditto to Tracy's comment. So precious. I felt like I had a pretty good handle on life B.E. (That's a reference to the days Before Ella.) And then Ella was born and I suddenly had NONE of the answers...and about a million questions. In a strange way, it's liberating and really fun to be clueless and feel totally silly again. Kind of us like us in junior high, right Jo?! :)

kuliejellogg said...

GREAT post!